Sunday, August 9, 2009

Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara (Non-Waterproof)


This review is for the original Sexy Curves mascara, the one in the metallic purple tube. It is now also available in Waterproof, which I've not tried.

Rimmel is one of my more preferred drugstore brands. They offer a wide array of products at a decent pricepoint, and are always up-to-date with the trends and technologies that girls are seeking in cosmetics. For a long time, the brand was hard to find in the U.S., but now it is readily available at Target and CVS. I actually purchased this mascara at Walgreens, but did not see anything else from Rimmel available there (at least not when I was there.)

I got this for less than $7, since it was on sale, and I was attracted by the cute package.


Packaging/Brush
The brush is a flexible, plastic-bristle variety, with 3 little "ball" formations from the curve of the bristles. According to Rimmel, the curve "in" is to volumize, and the curve "out" is to curl and de-clump. The promise by the company is for curled, plumped, and defined lashes. Quite a loaded promise, no?

Formula
The black color is so-so... I didn't expect the carbon black that L'Oreal offers, so it was no surprise that this wasn't a deep, dark black. The formula dries pretty quickly, so you don't have to worry about smudging, and you can apply coats back to back. However, the volumization was quite disappointing for me. With 1 coat, I looked like I had just a lash tint on my lashes. I had to use 3 coats to get a similar look to that which my higher-end mascaras can do in 1 coat.

And I say similar, because though this promised curl, I definitely had to use a separate lash curler to create any sort of curve. Additionally, my lashes felt sort of crunchy after the mascara dried. I didn't notice any flaking, though, which was a plus. Also, there was no scent or irritation to my eye.

Verdict
This mascara is pretty decent for a drugstore brand, so if you're pinched for cash, this is one of the better ones to buy. You'll just have to work harder and apply several coats to get a more dramatic effect. Stacked against a higher-end mascara, though, I would much prefer any of the more expensive ones to Rimmel Sexy Curves.

No comments:

Post a Comment