Monday, August 3, 2009

Do Mondays Deserve a Smile?


Man, I'm tired today! I didn't get much sleep, so don't mind the bags under my eyes in this horrid pic! I've already had a giant Dunkin' Donuts coffee and a can of Diet Dr. Pepper, and I am still exhausted!

Yesterday, I had the chance to explore the Dolce & Gabbana makeup that was released earlier this year. Currently, it is only available in 2 Saks stores in the US -- Beverly Hills and NYC, so I thought I would check it out. I walked away with 2 eyeshadow duos, an eyeliner, and a lipstick. In this pic, I am wearing some of the items.

For the full line of D&G's products, please see their official website at:


The line is manufactured by P&G Prestige (yes, good ol' Proctor & Gamble), who also makes their fragrances and also does SK-II. The talented Pat McGrath is the beauty consultant on this line as well. Everything is packaged in elegant gold.


FACE

Cle de Peau Concealer in Ivory (reviewed before - my holy grail concealer!)

Chanel Double Perfection Compact in Soft Beige 1.0
Chanel expanded their color offerings in this about a year ago, as well as changed the formula. It used to be a lot more powdery, and immediately after application, you had to wait for it to meld in with your skin.

The new formulation is better -- it is quite finely milled, but offers about medium coverage. The finish is matte with a slight radiance, if that makes sense. It only offers SPF 10, so you will still have to wear sunscreen underneath. It's not as heavy as, say, MAC Studio Fix, so if you're used to that level of coverage, you may find the Double Perfection to be too sheer.

However, this is one of the few powder foundations that look like skin. The only reasons that I would recommend the Dior Forever compact over the Chanel are that the Dior controls oil better, and that I can personally find a better color match in Dior.

The Chanel compact is offered in 13 different shades, but some of them are kind of strange (like too peach or too pink.) The Soft Beige 1.0 is a new color, and is a warm-toned light beige. However, it is like half a shade too dark for me. The next color down is too light.

This retails for $50, which is pricey, but it does last a long time. Also, they now make separate refills that are available for $40.

Chanel Joues Contraste in Narcisse (Have reviewed this previously.)


EYES

Dior JazzClub Palette -- Only using the brow powder (Have reviewed the palette previously.)

Dolce & Gabbana Smooth Eye Color Duo in Stromboli
Retails for $36. This duo is really beautiful. It consists of a peachy-nude with shimmer and a dark pearly grayish-black with silver and gold sparkles. The peach color is a little warmer than my skintone, and is like a peachier, prettier version of MAC Naked Lunch, or a mix between the dark and light colors of NARS All About Eve duo. It looks really pretty as a base color, but I think it could also be lovely on the browbones. The dark gray color can be used as a crease or liner color, or also smoked out all over the lid.

Here, I did a very natural looking eye, with the peach from lashline to crease, and then the dark gray along the lashline. However, for more drama (and outside of the office!) -- it can easily be brought to a more dramatic effect by using more of the dark color. I will probably do that one of these weekends. You can also use them wet for a more metallic effect.

The texture of these shadows is just lovely -- very silky, and also quite pigmented. I've experienced no creasing or fading, and I'm not even using a shadow base.

Dolce & Gabbana Crayon Intense Eyeliner in Stromboli
Retails for $29. Stromboli is quite a unique color. It is a dark gray-black flecked with gold glitter. I have to wear dark eyeliner to define my eyes, so this is dark enough to do that, but the harshness of gray or black is tempered by the glitter. In this pic, I didn't apply a lot of liner, just a thin line along the lashlines, but if you were to use a thicker line and use the smudger tip to blend, you could really get the glitter to show up.

I haven't used liners with glitter since college, when Hard Candy had a pretty black one with silver glitter, but Stromboli is definitely mature enough that you can wear it as an adult.

The texture is quite blendable, which means that you will see a bit of smudging towards the afternoon, unfortunately, It's not super creamy, so you won't get a raccoon effect, but it's no Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, either!

Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Effet Extension Mascara (reviewed previously)

LIPS

Dolce & Gabbana Shine Lipstick in Soiree
Retails for $30. Pretty hefty pricetag for a lipstick... the only other 2 lippies that I've owned which are near that pricepoint are Chanel Rouge Allure and YSL Rouge Volupte. Compared to those 2, I do prefer the D&G.

There are 2 formulations of D&G lipstick - Shine and Classic. I've tried colors in both ranges, and am pleased with the lasting power, the fragrance, and the creamy consistency of both.

Previously, I'd strayed away from any "shine" lipsticks because the lasting power was always a joke, but I have to say that D&G has hit the nail on the head with these.

The Shine lippies are available in 12 colors. Soiree is supposedly one of the most popular. In the tube, it looks like a flamingo-ish pink with a bit of glitter, but on the lips, it is a soft peach-pink color with a semi-glossy finish. There is a light, flowery scent, but nothing offensive or strong. And it is long-lasting and also moisturizing. I don't use lipsticks too often because they dry out my lips, but I think this lippie has changed my mind!


------------------


Can't wait for the Fall collection to come out! More reviews to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment