Monday, April 6, 2009

Angel - Oh, so Classic!


When I think of the 1990's, I think of the supermodels (Cindy, Naomi, Christy, Linda) -- and of course, of excessive sexiness (ie. Azzedine Alaia)... and, to that end, the launch of the beautiful Angel perfume in the mid-90's. I still remember the ad with Jerry Hall, her blonde waves cascading down her shoulder. Of course, at the time, I was a freshman in high school, so this fragrance was far too mature for me! I was missing that certain "je ne sais quoi" that someone in her late 20's, who has more life experiences, has!

This is certainly a gourmand fragrance, and can be categorized as an "oriental gourmand" because of its spicier notes. This perfume is comprised of bergamot, hedione, helional, honey, dewberry, red berries, vanilla, caramel, patchouli, chocolate and courmarin. On my skin, I the notes that stand out most are the bergamot (which I love, as I am also an Earl Gray tea fan!) and patchouli, which I first smell upon spraying... and then in the drydown, the gourmand notes become dominant in the form of vanilla and caramel. There is a very slight chocolate note to me. The sillage of this perfume is great, and only a few spritzes lasts on me all day.

Now, I must note that Angel is one of those fragrances that you either love or hate. It certainly makes a strong statement, and too many spritzes can result in overkill. But, for a dosage of sweet sultriness, there is no other fragrance, in my mind!

I love that Angel comes in so many formats and sizes, and although several diversions and limited editions have been released, I am favorable to the original. This is one of the few perfumes on the market that is refillable, and I am particularly biased towards the 0.8 ounce shooting star, which retails for $75USD. I picked it up for around 50-something Canadian dollars at the duty free store, which is an amazing deal. Although the star can't stand upright on its own, it just looks so beautiful and celestial lying on a simple glass tray or shelf.

Currently, Naomi Watts is the spokesmodel for this fragrance. Though she does lack the raw sensuality of Jerry Hall, she does look quite beautiful in the ads. There is also a summer edition, called Angel Sunessence, that comes in a silvery shooting star. This one is a bit more clean and floral.

No comments:

Post a Comment