Monday, July 13, 2009

On a Monday Morning...


I decided to try a new format for my reviews. I think I'm going to create the look with the makeup, and then review the individual items below. I hope one day to become technically-savvy enough to be able to have a roll-over menu so if you hold the mouse over a certain part of my face, the item I used on it will pop up, along with the review. But, alas, we start where we start... and in my case, it's the middle ages!


I took this picture with my Blackberry, so it pretty much sucks. Between that and the ginormous bags under my eyes from only 3-hrs of sleep, I'm not looking the best, but I promise to put up some better pictures going forward!


On to the fun stuff...


FACE

Chanel Mat Lumiere liquid foundation in Ivoire 0.8.

This is a decent foundation, with medium coverage and a soft-matte finish. It is supposed to be long-lasting (according to Chanel, up to 12 hrs) and have a lightweight and natural look.

PROS: It offers SPF15, and has a sanitary pump dispenser. The finish is quite natural-looking, not at all heavy or cakey. This is offered in 11 colors, though I think the very, very fair-skinned or the very, very dark-skinned may have trouble finding a match. Everyone in-between should be able to find a decent match, as they offer both neutral and golden undertones.

CONS: Like all Chanel products, this is pricey... Mat Lumiere is $54USD. Additionally, it comes in a heavy glass bottle, which travellers may find cumbersome. If you are really oily, this probably will not help hold back the oilies on its own. For me, my nose gets shiny by lunchtime.

Cle de Peau Concealer in Ivoire (which I have reviewed previously.) I've obviously forgotten to put some on my pimple!

Dior Bronze Harmonie de Blush in #001 Rose Brazilia.

I like this a lot, since it is a blend of blush and bronzer, which you can use separately or blended together. The Rose Brazilia has a pretty, bright peach color in the center, a tan bronze at the edges, and is flanked by a light pink border and a plummy border. All of the colors have some fine shimmer, but nothing too shiny. When you initially buy this, it has a gold overlay on top, but after you use it for the first time, the gold goes away.

I use this with the MAC 187 brush, pick up all the colors, and then buff into the cheeks. It blends to a really pretty, glowy peach for me. I like the versatility of this because honestly, it's like several cheek/face products in one, so for the $42 price-tag, it's quite worth it.


EYES

Stila Browset

I have this powder duo in "Dark" for when I used to have dark hair, but it comes with a lighter taupe color that I use now. The powder is pretty easy to work with (not too dry, not too soft) - and goes on quite well. I use the MAC #209 brush (small angled) to apply.

Guerlain Ombre Eclat 4 Couleurs Fleur De Feu eyeshadow quad.

This is from a year ago, limited-edition, and has really pretty colors, all with subtle shimmer: a light pinkish ivory color, a warm pinky-rose, a light cool-toned gray with some blue to it (this is my favorite shade), and a deep plummy-purple.

Here, I am only wearing the light pink-ivory color all over, and then a little of the plummy-purple along the lashline. This quad is quite unique, but I have to say the colors are not as pigmented as I would like.

Diorshow BlackOut Mascara

I got this mascara for free as part of my Dior Diva VIP gift. I've purchased it before, but I wouldn't say that it is my favorite of the Diorshows. The formula is very wet, and it doesn't thicken or lengthen as well as the original or the Iconic. It features the giant brush that Diorshow usually has, but the bristles are shorter and more spiral-y than the original. My favorite thing about it is that it leaves the lashes soft, and the color truly is a beautiful, kohl black. But, for $24USD, it may not be worth it to purchase this.

Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner Pencil in Zero.

This is one of my favorite pencil eyeliners. The Zero color is a rich, dark black, and it glides onto the eyelid and lashline without tugging. Now, I do have to note that it does smudge on the lower lashline by the afternoon, so this pencil is by no means perfect. But, for a pencil liner, this is one my favorites. It retails for $16USD, is available at Sephora (which means if you hate it, you can return it, no questions asked!) -- and is also offered in 19 beautiful colors, ranging from brights to metallics, to deeps.


LIPS

NARS Lipgloss in Sweet Revenge.

The NARS color names crack me up! This is a really pretty, sheer mid-tone rose with no shimmer or pearl. On my pink-pigmented lips, it just accentuates my lip color and makes the lips look plumper. It's sort of a "no-fail, no mirror" gloss that I can just slap on on a lazy day. It is pretty pricey, at $24USD for a little tube, but I think of all my lipglosses, I reach for this the most frequently during the week just because it's so easy. Like all other NARS non-shimmery glosses, this is fairly slick and decently long-lasting, and doesn't leave that embarrassing white ring around your mouth when it gets dried up. It just sort of fades away. The shine is not over the top or plasticky at all. I like the doe-foot applicator as well. My only complaint (as with all NARS lip products) is the chemical smell of it. I don't think NARS adds any perfume or fragrance to their lip products, so they have a waxy smell and taste to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment