Monday, September 14, 2009

Smooth Operator


Aveda has been aggressively marketing their Smooth Infusion line, so since I was up for some new shampoo and conditioner, I decided to try it. I purchased the full-sized Shampoo (8.5 ounce) and Conditioner (6.7 ounce), which retailed for $21 apiece, so they are not cheap, even by Aveda standards. The sales person also gave me samples of the Style Prep Smoother ($24 for 3.4 ounces) and the Glossing Straightener ($21 for 4.2 ounces.) You can also purchase a starter kit (pictured above) for $87, which includes the four products plus a comb.

The premise of this line is that it moisturizes the hair and reduces frizz through plant-based ingredients such as aloe, maize and guar. Since I've been highlighting my hair for almost a year, and just decided to go darker for the fall, my hair definitely needed the moisturization. Everything in this line has a light, natural scent, cited as "a fresh spicy citrus-floral featuring certified organic bergamot, certified organic palmarosa, Bulgarian rose and Australian sandalwood." It's not at all cloying or over-powering. The shampoo lathers up quite well, and when I rinsed it out, my hair did feel softer. When I followed with the conditioner, my hair felt softer and silkier than it had in a long time.

The first two times I used this, I used it without the Style Prep Smoother and the Glossing Straightener, and I found it did have a relaxing quality to my naturally wavy hair, but definitely didn't make it look like I'd used a flatiron or anything, so I decided to try the other two items.

The Style Prep Smoother has a lotion-y sort of consistency, and its active ingredients are tapioca and wheat protein, to protect against humidity as well as protect the hair from heat styling. I applied this from root to tip on towel dried hair, and combed through. The Glossing Straightener is more clear-looking, and has more of a gel-like consistency, I think due in part to its main ingredient of cellulose. I used this on the bottom 3/4 of my hair, after the Style Prep Smoother, to my damp hair.

After blow-drying, I did find that my hair was incredibly smooth, glossy, and quite straight, like I had quickly run through the lengths with a flatiron. I've never had any effects like this, even with my beloved Phytodefrisant, so I do have to commend Aveda on this line.

Unfortunately, as per Aveda's promise, this effect is only guaranteed for 12 hours. Because I only wash my hair every other day, I do find that my hair kind of goes back to normal after the first day. I do feel a little bit like Cinderella after the clock strikes midnight, when all of the magic effects disappear.

That's my only call-out so far. I haven't had any other issues, and my hair doesn't feel built-up, heavy, or weird. I think this is definitely worth a try if you are super lazy like I am, but like having straight hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment